They are also making donations to Friends of St Ives and Friends of Northcliffe Woods (they'd like to donate to Middleton Woods in Ilkley, but sadly it doesn't seem to have any Friends!)
Friends of Park Wood fully support the aims of Get Out More. We are heartened when as a social enterprise 'you put your money where your mouth is' and re-invest in the local community.
It is impossible to say just yet what the money will be spent on but we have a number of projects lined-up and we predict it will be spent on one of these priorities:
- Dry stone wall repair (dry stone wall is a fantastic habitat for small birds, invertebrates and plants; repairing it is also a clear statement that the wood is cared for).
- Glade creation (allowing light in by felling a few dominant trees and allowing them to decay; thus providing the energy and nutrients for a range of new species
- Pond creation (increasing the biodiversity value of the whole woodland by providing standing water essential for some invertebrate species)
- Signage (for information and again as a statement that the wood is valued)
- Regular work parties and social events (we will always need replacement tools and to take time out to enjoy the wood ourselves!)